The Catholic Church esteems marriage as sacred – one of the seven sacraments of the continual presence of Christ among us. Saint Paul says the union of husband and wife is a sign of the union of Christ and the Church. When the couple professes their vows, they vow to love each other “as Christ loved the Church” (Ephesians 5:25) – freely, totally, faithfully, and fruitfully.
Marriage holds a unique position as the one sacrament in which it is not the priest who administers the Sacrament. Rather, the couple mutually administers the Sacrament while the priest witnesses on behalf of the Church, calling God’s blessing upon their marriage.
In witnessing your marriage, our parish community desires to uphold and support you faithfully for the rest of your lives as you grow together in God who is Love. We undertake this work with you as you begin preparing to live the Sacrament of Marriage, and we believe our marriage preparation program reflects our commitment to help you to live your vocation to the married life.
HOW DO I SCHEDULE A WEDDING AT ST. MATTHEW?
(Steps below must be completed before securing your wedding date)
1. Fill out this Sacrament Inquiry form, and select a Marriage Preparation Session to attend. Wedding Coordinator, Jonni Masters, will contact you and schedule a meeting to review preparation requirements.
3. Bring a newly issued Baptismal Certificate with notations and the completed and signed Wedding Celebration Agreement to your Marriage Preparation Session. *In order to obtain a newly issued Baptismal Certificate with notations, contact your parish of baptism*
4. Meet with assigned priest or deacon to determine freedom to marry.
5. Provide the deposit ($100 for parishioners, $1100 for non-parishioners/inactive Catholics). *For the additional monetary amount owed for a wedding at St. Matthew, please click here.*
6. Once your wedding date is scheduled, the Preparation below must be completed at least one month prior to your wedding date. *The Pastor reserves the right to postpone or cancel the wedding if preparation requirements have not been completed or are not scheduled to be completed prior to the wedding.*
WHAT ARE THE MARRIAGE PREPARATION FORMATION REQUIREMENTS?
- Meet 3-4 times with an assigned mentor couple from the parish, set up by the wedding coordinator
- Attend an Engaged Encounter Weekend
- Complete all Natural Family Planning sessions
- Engaged Encounter & Natural Family Planning certificates of completion must be submitted to wedding coordinator
WHAT ARE THE LITURGY PREPARATION REQUIREMENTS?
- Preparing Your Wedding Liturgy – review the information on this page, make selections and meet with the Music Director. This page has all the information to prepare for your wedding liturgy, including information on the Scripture readings, music, and sample wedding programs
- Submit a copy of the wedding program, prior to final print, for approval from the wedding coordinator
- Floral Agreement
- Photographers/Videographers Agreement
- Visiting Clergy Agreement
- The agreements from the florist, photographer, videographer and a visiting clergy and will need to be reviewed, signed and returned (at least 2 weeks prior to the wedding liturgy) to email@example.com