Who are we?
Formerly known as the Charitable Works Committee, the Charitable Works Ministry is the Food Bank for the Gahanna Zip Code (43230). We are connected to Hands-On for Central Ohio. Our normal office hours are Monday through Friday from 10 am to 12 pm. These hours can be modified by appointment. We also have a drop box for clothing and small household item donations located at the west end of the school building.
Our office is located in the Parish Support Center (the old convent, west of the school building). Our phone number is 614-471-5320, or we can be contacted by email.
Visit the Charitable Works Gallery to see some pictures from this successful, annual event. In November, we provided Thanksgiving Dinner to 65 families.
What is our mission?
Our mission is derived from Matthew 25:34-46, where Christ defines how we, in mercy and love, are to care for the bodily needs of others.
What do we do?
Whenever individuals call Hands-On for food and identify themselves from Gahanna, the request is directed to us. We then fulfill the request by providing enough food for three meals a day for five days. Both delivery and pick up options are available.
Using the Corporal Works of Mercy as our guide, the Charitable Works Ministry:
- Feeds the hungry: During a typical month, the Saint Matthew Charitable Works Ministry provides an estimated 4,230 meals to 77 households of the Gahanna community.
- Gives drink to the thirsty: An average family of 7 of more will receive two gallons of milk as well as two containers of juice.
- Clothes the naked: The Charitable Works Ministry collects, sorts, and boxes clothing items for distribution to free clothing agencies within the Columbus Diocese.
- Shelters the homeless: When need is established, the Charitable Works Ministry will assist families in the payment of rent and utilities.
- Visits the sick: In addition to personal visits, the Ministry will help ease the burden of medical bills and prescriptions, if need is established.
- Visits the imprisoned: The Charitable Works Ministry helps provide cookies for the KAIROS ministry.
- Buries the dead: The Ministry will provide help with funeral expenses, if need is established.
During 2015, CWM served an estimated 46,020 meals to Gahanna residents.
How can you help?
- Participate in the monthly donations after mass. They are the 4th Sunday of each month except November (the 3rd Sunday) and December (none). Donations can be made by cash or check, made out to “St. Matthew Charitable Works.” Donations are tax-deductible.
- Donate both perishable and non perishable items. Toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, hand soap and laundry soap are always in low supply.
- Consider volunteering to stock shelves, sort and box clothing, or prepare boxes of food for pickup or delivery.
- Help make sandwiches for St. Lawrence Haven which provides free lunches to the homeless Monday through Friday. This occurs on the 2nd Sunday of each month.
- Pray for those in need and those active in this ministry.